The life of a new dog owner is serious enough. Many things have to be taken care of, the dog wants to be looked after, the first training units are due. To loosen up the temptation you might be tempted to give your new roommate a funny dog name. But there is often a lack of ideas and suggestions. We help you to find funny male and girl dog names and explain to you whether a funny name is the right choice for you or what you should consider.
Funny dog names come with problems
The initially supposedly funny dog name can quickly turn out to be a big problem after a while. Depending on which choice you have made, it can happen that the name may be too ridiculous for you after a while. Remember, your four-legged friend should bear this name for their entire, hopefully long and happy, life. That’s why we’ve listed a few things here to think about to see if your funny dog name is suitable for everyday use.
- Your dog grows and gets older! In the beginning the puppies like to romp around, are clumsy and extremely cute to look at. But of course it doesn’t stay that way. After a while you will notice how quickly puppies grow. Remember that a funny dog name should not only be suitable for the cute puppy but also for the fully grown animal.
- You have to call your dog by the funny dog name in parks or while walking. You will have to call out your dog by his name loud in public. If the supposedly funny dog name ensures that you would like to sink into the ground from embarrassment, that’s not great either.
- You’re getting older too! A dog’s life is on average 10-15 years. That is a long time in which you as the owner are getting older and developing further. Especially with people who buy a four-legged friend with a funny name early in life, it can happen that one of the names no longer suits them after a few years.
- Changing the dog’s name is always difficult. Ideally, you will train your puppy to hear on his name perfectly within the first few months. The animal memorizes its dog name. A name change is therefore always problematic and, if at all, very difficult to carry out.
Suggestions for funny dog names – male and girl
So enough of the warnings let’s take a look at what kinds of funny dog names there are.
Ironic – use the differences
One way to make dog names funny is to use the differences between dog and name. Certain names are associated with great and powerful gods or with heroes from action films. According to the motto the name looks bigger than the dog, you could call a particularly small dog Zeus, Xerxses or Rambo. Sounds unusual but also funny. Here are a few more suggestions for names in this category:
- Archimedes – male
- Poseidon – male
- Athene – girl
- Terminator – male
- Freya – girl
- Herkules – male
- Xenia – girl
- Caesar – male
- Daenerys – girl
- Ramses – male
- Hannibal – male
Ideas from films and television
The film industry has countless characters with even more different names, of course there are also some funny ones. Here, too, the difference between big personalities in the film and the dog, which appears small, is often played with. But with some of the funny dog names from films, the character is also just particularly funny.
- Asterix, Obelix und Idefix
- Sid – from Ice Age
- Odie – from Garfield
- Rocket – raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxie
- Papa Schlumpf, Gargamel
- Tick, Trick and Track
- Tom and Jarry
- Frodo, Gimli – Lord of the rings
- Dobby – Harry Potter
- Yoda, Jabba, – Star Wars
More ideas male and girl
Not the right name yet? Or are you tired of funny dog names? Then take a look at our list of over 1000 male and female dog names.